The new year gives all of us the opportunity of a fresh start to do the things we wanted to do but didn’t act on in 2015. Beginning with the end in mind is going to be the key that guarantees success.
After examining all that I worked on personally last year, I found that most of it was uncoordinated and therefore a lot of things I started ended up getting stalled because I didn’t have the will to continue.
So on the first day of the year 2016, I sat down to really think about what I want to see at the end of the year. At first, the only things that came to mind were things I wanted to buy, but I decided they didn’t define how I wanted to see the end of 2016 because they were too temporary in nature.
After a few hours of thinking about my vision of the year, I was able to eventually able to write exactly what I wanted the most. Only those things which are absolutely important and necessary made it into that list.
I’m not going to tell you what those things are. We are all different so what we want will differ. I will instead give some tips on how to begin with the end in mind.
- Pray: A simple prayer will do, nothing too complicated. Just ask God for help on what to write down. He knows those things that are really important to you.
- Think big: Think outside your usual limits. Don’t think too big or too small. I’ll give an example: Don’t think of making a billion naira monthly when right now you are only making 10000 monthly. I’d say think of making about a minimum of 10 times what you are making right now. Thinking big doesn’t apply to just income alone though, let it be a theme across the board.
- Center your vision around improvement : We all need to grow, so strive to do that this year. You know your weaknesses, make it a mission to get rid of them. You know your strengths, make sure that you hone and nurture them. Remember, you’re not the only one who knows how to do what you do, so don’t think that you’re special. You have to differentiate yourself from other people by growing .
- Question everything: For everything you write down in your vision for the year, ask yourself a question : do I want to do this for me or because someone else wants me to do it?. Everything you put down in your vision has to be something you want to do or else you’ll feel like you’re doing it to fulfil someone’s wishes. Also, another important question is: is this absolutely necessary in my life?. Asking these questions will help a great deal
- Categorize: Take time to categorize what you eventually write down so that you can make sure that all areas of your life are accounted for.
- Start immediately: Once you’re done writing, get to work. Don’t delay for a second. It might be hard but you’ll eventually get a hang of it. One of the items I wrote down for 2016 was to write more, and here I am writing my 3rd post of the year. It’s not easy but I have to do it. There’s no harm in trying.
There’s so much more that will help in planning for the new year but I don’t know everything. It’s left to you to try it and see how it goes. You can get in touch by dropping me a note if you want to talk about starting the year with a plan.
I’d love to also hear from you if this post helps you in any way.